Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Grateful

down the hall
in stocking feet
out the door
and up the street

to the store
down the aisle
searching for
my lost smile

top row (please!)
left and right
middle row (I'll give anything!)
nothing in sight

bottom row (come on!)
right and left
empty boxes (gasp!)
signs of theft

to the counter
where's the clerk?
he's outside smoking
the lucky jerk

for he can breathe
and I cannot
so for this reason
I am distraught

but he's not here
to tell me where
to find the pills
to give me air

my chest erupts
my muscles seize
I dooley rambo
I cherry sneeze

I'll just sit down
and stay awhile
in this here skinny
medicine aisle

If you see the jerk
who's breathing fire
tell him please
my feeling's dire

ah! here he comes!
oh woe the fuss
he points me to
Alka-Seltzer Cold Plus

I wander home
hugging tight
my one desire
my one delight

this is where
I find my smile
thanks to the jerk
in the drugstore aisle








No comments:

Post a Comment