Saturday, October 3, 2015

I'm Alone All the Time

you’re sitting right next to me
you see my smile
you feel my arm
you probably smell me
you hear my breathing
hopefully you’re not tasting anything about me

but, unless there’s a sixth sense 
you have no idea what I’m thinking
I could be laughing inside
I could be crying inside
I could be mocking, sarcastic
loving, lusting, bored, depressed
anxious, distant, in France
naked, asleep, watching a movie
tasting sausages…

the list is endless

but if I keep my breathing even
my face expressionless or at least unchanging
and my body is still, my eyes straight forward
then you would have no idea of me
unless I speak, but even then it’s nebulous
some people are masters at speaking what they’re not thinking

this is an inherent contradiction with humans
there is so much going on in each person’s head
and only a micro percentage is communicated outwardly

yes an expert could tell about how I sit
or how I respond and what direction my eyes go when I do
but experts can’t keep me from taking a gun into a crowded arena
stealing funds from my Little League
cheating on my spouse, lying to a friend

but we’re not experts
we’re just people trying to get along, get through, move forward


1 comment:

  1. Takes me to a long-time favorite line from Tale of Two Cities - A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. A solemn consideration, when I enter a great city by night, that every one of those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret; that every room in every one of them encloses its own secret; that every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imagin-ings, a secret to the heart nearest it! Something of the awfulness, even of Death itself, is referable to this.

    ReplyDelete