Friday, October 16, 2015

Venus

I saw Venus this morning
after the sun spectacularly arose
right through the living room window
in my wrinkled unflattering bed clothes

I looked past the prism that Josna gave us
past the bud elder bug camped on the sill
past the maple tree in the middle of losing its leaves
past the firs and oaks and pines lining the top of the hill

past the pink and gray clouds 
lit up by the rising sun
of all the bright objects in the night sky
there was left this morning just this one

it was strong and brilliant and bright
like a star at home on a pitch black night
but this was a lonely planet in the day!
I wanted coffee, but I couldn't look away

I watched it for awhile, thinking it would disappear
I knew it eventually would, but when?
the sun came up farther, the clouds turned normal
the sky grew very blue, and then...

It stayed! it didn't leave my sight
it dared me to look stronger
it looked me right in the eyes
and said I will feel my glory a little longer

How brave! How stubborn! How brazen!
to shine like it's dark as the day begins
I will not be outdone says the tiny light
refusing to put its night to an end

But the sun is jealous, yes he is
and does not permit such unsurrendering pride
as little planets trying to be bigger than they are.
And so, with a blast, the sun sent Venus to hide

You're still there, Venus, 141 million miles away
signaling to me; I know you are
and I'm going to wish on you!
I know you're a planet
but to me, this morning, you look just like a star







No comments:

Post a Comment