Friday, November 27, 2015

About Me

Who's going to reach down and pick me up?
Who's going to reach up and pull me down?
What's going to happen to make me see
that everything is not about me 

Usually I think it's all centered right here
Usually I think there's no more to this world
Usually I'm just what I need to be
I figure everything is all about me

When I answer the phone
and somebody asks me a question about somebody else
I think, "what the heck -- that's pretty gutsy"
I thought everything was all about me

If there's a news story about somebody dead
and they interview the poor guy's sister
I don't shed any tears for his family
because everything is all about me

If there's an earthquake in the world
and the country is asking for help
I organize my garage kit for an emergency
'cus everything is all about me

if gas prices fall, or grocery prices rise
I'm either sad or happy, depending on
but I'm not happy or sad for you, I guarantee
'cus everything is all about me

How do I look? how do I feel?
why am I lonely, why am I mad?
all this self-reflecting is driving me crazy!
why is everything all about me?

It wasn't my fault, I didn't do it
I never saw him, but I think he did it
I had no idea so why are you giving me the third-degree?
why is everything all about ME?!

leave me alone go away
come back here read my page
I'm so confused I don't know what to do-- could it be
that everything isn't all about me?

God says, "be not wise in your own eyes"
"trust me with all your heart"
I'm going to take a deep breath and continue to read
and hope from here on out that everything is not
about me


1 comment: