Thursday, November 5, 2015

Mr Rabbit

I was just sitting there
with a cup of dreams in my hand
when everything went blank
and black

and I woke up on a hillside
under a tree
with a rabbit next to me

he sat quietly
while I came to be
on that hillside

we were looking out over a small valley
with a creek running through
you could tell by the line of trees
winding like a lost shoestring

"I used to live down there" said Mr Rabbit
"My warren was near that next little rise 
just beyond the creek."
He smiled at me, or seemed to.
Rabbits aren't good at smiling--
just conveying the feeling of a smile
was good, though

"I love the earth," he said 
cleaning some dirt from his rabbit paw with his other
"I love how it smells when I dig,
how it's a bit damp and soft
how it holds so much life.
And after rain it returns to form.
In our warren it's dry, but the smell of rain on the earth 
is beautiful."

He looked up at me
as I leaned against the tree and said,
"Well, I'm off now. Enjoy your time here."

And as he hopped off
I lost my way again
and I awoke 
cup in hand

No comments:

Post a Comment