Thursday, November 26, 2015

New Tires!

I got new tires!
how does one explain the thrill of
new treads on his rig?

it's like Christmas
any time of the year
it's like your unbirthday
it's like Les Schwab said
'hey, do you want a present?
ok, just pay us six-hundred dollars
and we'll give you newe tirrrrrrreeeeesss.'
OK, Uncle Les, I'll do it!

First there's the smell of the tire store
indescribable, I guess.

You can't say what it smells like.
It smells like a tire store.
some people like it. I like it

I like the smell of roofing tar in the summer, too
or hot patch asphalt
kind of like the smell of cold rain on a hot street
there's no way to say
it's a smell like....
because there is no smell like it

just like a TIRE STORE smell.

Then there's looking at the new tires for the first time
the perfect, unworn, deep tread
like a new pair of shoes
little rubbers poking out like unshaven whiskers

Then the first drive
and the first corner
like you're Mario Andretti
and your car sticks
to the road like
spray paint on brick

Oh I love new tires
once every 60,000 miles
it's a rare treat
Bring it on rain and snow
I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment